About Fyrnwy Equine Clinics referral service
All cases are seen secondarily following a referral from a client’s primary veterinary surgeon. The service is designated to enhance the previous work performed by the referring veterinary surgeon and operates by working closely with the referring vet and horse owner.
Matthew Robin BVSc BSc DipECEIM CertAVP(EM) M.Phil MRCVS is a European Specialist in Equine Medicine and provides our medicine referral service. If you would like to speak to Matthew please call the practice on 01939260251.
Outlined below is our 2017 list of medical procedures undertaken at Fyrnwy Equine Clinics. Some of these procedures can be performed on the yard if requested.
- Gastric or duodenal biopsies
- Intestinal ultrasound
- Rectal biopsy
- Oral glucose absorption test
- Liver ultrasound
- Liver biopsy
- Complete cardiac physical examination
- Exercising and overnight electrocardiogram (E.C.G.)
- Upper airway endoscopy including the guttural pouches and the upper airways at exercise.
- Broncho-alveolar lavage (BAL)
- Trans-tracheal wash (TTW) and Trans-endoscopic tracheal wash
- Pleural ultrasound and thorocaocentesis
- Thoracic radiography
- Sarcoid evaluation and treatments.
- ‘Oncept’ melanoma vaccine
Neurology and myopathies
- Neurologic examination
- Cervical Radiography
- Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) collection
- Muscle biopsy – Exertional rhabdomyolysis investigation and other myopathies
- Direct ophthalmoscopy
- Indirect ophthalmoscopy for detailed fundic examinations
- Ocular ultrasound
- Intra-ocular pressure (IOP) measurement
- Urine analysis (individual ureteral collection if indicated)
Foal intensive care
- Specialist care in custom made foal pens
- Different tiers available to cover different budgets and requirements.
- Disease outbreak investigation and control
- Guttural pouch endoscopy for Strangles carrier investigation/treatment
- Equine metabolic syndrome investigation
- Thyroid enlargement investigation
- Haematologic and biochemical interpretation/advice
- Bone marrow aspirate
- Head shakers
Tim Froydenlund MA VetMB CertAVP(ESO) MRCVS is our surgeon who is based at our Baschurch clinic. He has extensive surgical experience having worked at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, Edinburgh.
Outlined below is our 2017 list of surgical procedures undertaken at Fyrnwy Equine Clinics.
Upper airway surgery
- Laser airway surgery – hobday, vocalcordectomy, aryepiglottic fold resection.
- Soft palate cautery
Advanced dentistry and sinus surgery
- Oral and minimally-invasive transbuccal dental extraction
- Intra-oral endoscopy
- Sinoscopy and minimally-invasive sinus surgery
- Suspensory neurectomy and fasciotomy
- DSP resection and interspinous ligament
- Fracture repair
Soft tissue surgery
- Colic surgery
- Caesarean section
- Partial phallectomy and en-bloc resection
- Hernia repair
- Closed castration
- Laser excision of sarcoids, melanoma and squamous carcinoma
- Lameness assessment
- Lower respiratory tract workup
- Resting and overground endoscopy
- Exercising ECG and echocardiography
If you would like to speak to either Tim or Matt to discuss your referral case please call 01939 260251.
To refer a case please fill in and return the form below.